Saturday 23 April 2016

Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon: Hours 17-20

 
Welcome back!  I've had three and a half hours' sleep and now I'm back in business, diving straight back into my book and wondering if it's too early to go make coffee.  In case you've missed them, previous posts have already covered Hours 0-4, Hours 5-8 and Hours 9-16, with photos, GIFs, videos and challenge entries as well as hourly reading updates!
 

~ Hour 17 (6am) ~
I've been reading:  A Play on Words by Deric Longden

Pages read since my last update:  29

Pages read altogether:  288
Mini challenges completed:  6
The menu:  Cadbury's Brunch raisin cereal bar, rocky road mini bite, glass of pressed apple and ginger juice
In six words: "Guess who's back?  Back again?" etc.

Thoughts:  I don't think I have any thoughts yet.  Not until I've had coffee.  But I'm reading!  I've had something chocolatey to wake me up a tiny bit!  It's almost light outside!  Let's just enjoy the morning for another hour, yeah?

 
 
~ Hour 18 (7am) ~
I've been reading:  A Play on Words by Deric Longden

Pages read since my last update:  13
Pages read altogether:  301
Mini challenges completed:  6
The menu:  Breakfast's on the way!
In six words:  Morning has broken; I NEED COFFEE!

Thoughts:  This is it!  The rest of the household is awake, I've spent the last few minutes of the hour making breakfast and saying good morning to the cats (by 'saying good morning' I mean 'talking at them adoringly and squishing their little faces', OBVIOUSLY), and now I'm ready to settle back in for the rest of the readathon with the lovely Deric Longden for company.  :)





~ Hour 19 (8am) ~
I've been reading:  A Play on Words by Deric Longden

Pages read since my last update:  24
Pages read altogether:  325
Mini challenges completed:  7
The menu:  Blueberry muffin, apple slices, raspberries and coffee
In six words:  Readathon breakfast is THE BEST BREAKFAST.

Thoughts:  Ooooh, my medication's hit hard again this morning.  Must be the lack of sleep.  I feel all floppy and like I could juuuust close my eyes for a minute - BUT NO!  I SHALL READ ON!  Fortified by fruit and coffee and sweet cakey goodness, and another gentle helping of Deric Longden and his cats and his sweetly bumbling home life.  This is basically the perfect Sunday morning, readathon or no readathon!  Now... maybe another mug of coffee?


MINI CHALLENGE: Scary Good
Hosted by The Estella Society
 
I was a latecomer to scary books, but now I really enjoy freaking myself out every now and again!  Two of the scariest books I've ever read - and loved BECAUSE they scared me so much - are Bird Box by Josh Malerman and The Shining by Stephen King.  I liked The Shining because it started so gently and slowly worked its way up to pure horror, by which point there was no way I could stop reading; the Overlook Hotel had ME in its thrall as much as the Torrance family!  Bird Box was straight-up horrific from start to finish, and so creepy and skin-crawling to read, I still think about it frequently a year later.
 
 

~ Hour 20 (9am) ~
I've been reading:  A Play on Words by Deric Longden

Pages read since my last update:  16
Pages read altogether:  341
Mini challenges completed:  7
The menu:  The last bit of blueberry muffin and coffee
In six words:  Only four hours left!  WHAT EVEN?!

Thoughts:  No time to blog!  Must read!  Seriously though, I wonder if I can cram 150 pages into the last 4 hours if I reaaaaaally try?  I'm going to need to streamline my reading time AND make more coffee (like, waaaaaay more coffee) but that 500 page goal could actually be doable this time around!  Wish me luck - and remember...

 
Just four hours left to read, then it's all over until October!  *waves pompoms with all the sleep-deprived mania at her disposal*  COME ON FOLKS, WE CAN DO IT!