THE STICKY NOTE OF NEWS

It's autumn again, and that means it's time for R.I.P. IX, hooray! I'll be cramming in some spooky, supernatural, gothic and otherwise DARK books, short stories, TV shows and movies through September and October; if you want to see how I'm doing and what I've read/watched so far, check out my master post here. Happy (scary) reading!

Friday, 3 January 2014

Very British Problems: Making Life Awkward for Ourselves, One Rainy Day at a Time (4*)

by Rob Temple (Sphere, 2013)

In a nutshell:
This is basically the book version of the hilarious Twitter account of the same name.  I've been following it for a while, spent one glorious afternoon this autumn crying with laughter reading great chunks of the feed, and then sent it to my mum who did the same.  So when I saw the book, I couldn't not buy it!

Who is it for?
Anyone who has a sneaking suspicion that they're probably one of 'those' British people - like a spiritual cross between Hugh Grant, Bridget Jones and a bowler-hat-wearing character in a Wodehouse novel.  I've got to be honest, I was quite tempted to start ticking off all the things that made me smile with recognition.  It was scary.

Favourite part?
The chapter entitled 'Very British Weather: The 10 Types of Highly Problematic Meteorological Phenomena Every Brit Must Suffer' was very funny, and SO TRUE.  

Least favourite part?
There were one or two little snippets that were definitely just variations on something from earlier in the book.  There were also a few silly typos, which in a book largely made up of funny one-shots of 140 characters or less seemed a bit lazy.

Verdict?  Go check out the Twitter feed!  If you like it, you'll like this book.  4 stars from this (apparently) all-British girl.  :)



Source: I bought this book from my newly-local Tesco.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds flipping awesome! I am definitely 100% British and I suffer terribly with the weather. Off to check out the twitter feed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, enjoy... I've loved that feed ever since I saw 'Launching a full investigation into who put a buttery knife in the marmalade'. I WOULD TOTALLY DO THAT. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to look for this. I'm not British but I think a lot of us Canadians still share some of the same quirks as you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the Twitter feed, see what you think! You could get it out the library - it'd only take you an hour or two to read. :)

      Delete
  3. I love them on Twitter but I did wonder if the book was a bit too much of what I've already read? I may be sneaky and wait for it to turn up in The Works ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the stuff I recognised, some I didn't, and there are a handful of 'proper' sections not in Tweet-sized nuggets too. Books like this usually end up at 1p+postage online sooner or later, so you should be fine! :P

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhh I want this. I always end up reading the Twitter feed when I've finished my book on a train, but then I cry with laughter and get odd looks...

    It seems like it would be very similar to what I've already read online though, so I can't justify it right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT?! I used to read it at work when I couldn't concentrate on anything else, but you do get some funny looks when you suddenly burst out laughing and can't stop. (Not a problem now, obviously...)

      I definitely recognised some of the stuff, but a lot of it was fresh too, which was good. You'll have to borrow mine sometime! :)

      Delete
  5. Not having come across this on Twitter I have just been to check it out. Hurt my stomach by laughing so much! 'Having a unique and involuntary small noise reserved for only when you push a pull door' Funny because it is all so true! This is a book I need...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha fantastic I have got to read this!!

    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate buttons. AND THAT IS A LOT.