IT'S BOUT OF BOOKS TIME AGAAAAAIIIIIIIN! And loads of you are doing it, I know, because you're more organised than me and have already been posting your goals and all that stuff, and I HAVEN'T, because I have had Fun Times At The Shop to deal with and spent most of yesterday reading about the Pirate Captain's whale-based adventure and eating sweets instead. Which is the only acceptable response to a shop full of condescending book dealers (book fair in town, don't ask) and eight bazillion kids, I think you'll agree. But now it's ALMOST TIME and I'm actually hosting a challenge this week which is AWESOME, so here we are. All is good.
In case you've been living under a rock (by which I of course mean "actually have a life outside the blogosphere"), or haven't read-a-thonned before, or missed my hearty participation in previous BoB read-a-thons, here's the official blurb:
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional.
For all Bout of Books 8.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog.
- From the Bout of Books team
~ My Goals ~
First up, the books I would definitely like to finish if at all possible. I read the first chapter of Ruby Wax's autobiography How Do You Want Me? a couple of weeks ago, found it hilarious and interesting... then never read any more. So I'd like to finish that one. Having finished all my current fiction books, I've picked Ashfall by Mike Mullin from my box of books for my next read. It's pretty hefty - nearly 500 pages - but I'm hoping that it'll be exciting enough to keep me riveted and be a faster read than it looks! And finally, I've got a copy of Domain - the last of The Rats books by James Herbert - on the way, so I'd like to speed through that as well.
Given that I'm working six out of the seven days, as always, plus getting a bit of last-minute packing in for this house move (which should FINALLY be going ahead at the end of the month), that should probably do me for the week. If I DO happen to get ahead of myself, I still have the rest of that box of books to choose from. You can click on the link above to see everything that's in there - I did a post about it a few weeks ago with plenty of book-porn photos! - but these are some of the more readathon-friendly titles awaiting my attention:
In terms of other goals... well, it wouldn't be Bout of Books if I didn't completely overreach and set myself a load of tasks I'm never going to complete, would it?!
- I'd like to read at least 350 pages throughout the week. That's an average of 50 pages per day, which may not sound like much - but I'm working and with it being the summer holidays, there's a lot less time for reading at the shop right now. I'm not reading too much after work either, because my sciatica medication makes me so sleepy! Hopefully 50 pages a day will be doable, and if I can smash that total, then so much the better...
- I'll definitely try to take part in Monday's Twitter chat, although our online grocery shop's due to arrive at some point that hour too. I might be able to take part in some of Saturday's, but it's the end of the workday for us (we close as the chat ends) so it could be nice and quiet, or it could be hellish. We'll just have to wait and see!
- As usual, I'm planning to do a reading journal-style post every day, with photos and chatter and videos and all sorts of other fun stuff.
- I definitely DO NOT want to get swept up bouncing around the internet for five hours instead of reading. This is always my downfall, grrrrr!
- I'll be trying to keep up with my book girls' Bout of Books progress throughout the week, as well as hopping around via the daily linky and Twitter to cheer on some of the other read-a-thonners.
- I'll be participating in a few challenges along the way, plus I'm hosting one on Wednesday. My first gig as a hostess, I hope I do okay! :)
- I'm actually three reviews behind at the moment, plus I'm part-way through the 15-Day Book Blogger Challenge, so if I could get a few upcoming posts at least roughly sketched out, that would be a big help!
- I'm sure there'll be a little idle DVD-watching going on as well, especially if my amitriptyline continues to make me super-sleepy every evening. I might try and watch some stand-up comedy, and maybe carry on with Season 6 of Gilmore Girls, in between all that reading.
~ My Updates ~
I'll be updating here on the blog, as well as on Twitter. My handle is @Bookshop_Girl, and I'll be using the read-a-thon hashtag #boutofbooks.
Since I like to keep my read-a-thon updates chatty, and add pictures, and participate in challenges, and all that jazz, I'm going to start a new post for each day of the read-a-thon. I'll post the basic template first thing each morning and add updates, photos, statistics and challenge entries throughout the day. Wash, rinse, repeat! My challenge will have a separate post, which I'll link to in the 'Sticky Note of News' at the top of the blog. I'll add the links to each post here for quick reference.
Good luck to all my fellow Bout of Books-ers - and feel free to leave your links, comments, encouraging words or random book-addled thoughts at the bottom of any of my posts this week and I'll do my best to return the visit!