THE STICKY NOTE OF NEWS

I'm on Instagram now! Yes, I've finally joined the twenty-first century and acquired a smartphone. If you like pictures of books, cats, books, food and books, with the occasional detour into pretty scenery, you can check out my photos so far by clicking here, or my handle is blondebookgirl. :)

Thursday, 1 March 2012

Mixing It Up Challenge Update #1


Okay, it's time for our first Official Update post!  This is where you get to check in, discuss, commiserate, celebrate, and ask questions!  I've also reposted the original linky here so you can maybe visit a few of the other challengees and cheer them on...  A little motivation goes a long way! 

If you haven't joined up yet, there's still plenty of time, never fear!  Please don't sign up using the Linky on this post - it's just a copy - instead you can find all the challenge details, categories, guidelines and ideas, plus how to sign up, over HERE.

My First Two Months

Hmmm, well, I didn't dive headfirst into my challenges with quite the vim I'd expected, given my reading fever in December!  I had about three weeks in January where I barely read a page, thanks to a flurry of music-listening and telly-watching that ended up consuming most of my time, oops...  Not that it wasn't just as enjoyable in its own way, but it didn't get me off to a great start!

So far I've completed three out of my sixteen categories - all the easiest ones first, what a surprise!  First up was my Children's/YA choice, which was Seizure by Kathy Reichs, the second in her Virals series.  It was a kind of fusion of Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean, with powers...  I tackled the Journalism/Humour category with the very funny How to Leave Twitter: My Time as Queen of the Universe and Why This Must Stop by Grace Dent, which I highly recommend to all the Tweeters out there!  And finally, for my Modern Fiction category, I went for Christos Tsiolkas's debut novella Loaded, about a young gay Greek man in Australia.  It was like a kind of modern Catcher in the Rye - cynical, intelligent, angry and explicit - and I really enjoyed it!

Over to you...

How are you getting on so far? Have any of your not-so-familiar genres surprised you? Have you had any particularly good (or particularly bad) reads already?  Leave your comments below!  Then if you have a few minutes spare, go and visit some of the other blogs on the Linky and show them a little encouragement.  We all need a cheerleader once in a while for all these reading challenges!

17 comments:

  1. I've finished 4 of the categories (a couple books in some of them!) My problem this year is that I am kind of in a reading rut - nothing I've read has been a super great page-turner. Maybe March will change that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually doing pretty well, I think. I've completed four categories so far. There are a couple more I COULD have used, like the Literary Fiction and the YA ones, but I don't know... maybe I didn't like the books as much?

    Anyway, I feel like I'm on track and ready to cross some more off the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I've only finished one category. I've been kind of backed up with review copies. But I do know what I plan to read for each category, so it will get done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far I've read books from 6 of the categories, including 3 (romance, social sciences and graphic novel) which are not my usual genres at all. I've several more on a pile waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have completed the graphic novels category, the journalism and humour section, the biography section, the classics and the science fiction and fantasy section so that makes it six out of 12 completed so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done a ridiculous amount. I've done 10 and have 6 to go. I've gotten some great books out of it! I didn't think much of my mystery selection but most of them have been great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've completed 8 already. I was super ambitious in January and some books just kind of fell into my lap in February. I even read a category that I had not planned on so I should be able to surpass my goal of 12 with at least 13!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've gotten 7 read of 16 without trying to match up categories. To finish the rest though, I'm going to need to specifically select books to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've completed five categories and am working on a sixth. I feel as if my reading has been scattered but my challenges are filling up okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just realized I had actually finished two categories, and just yesterday I finished a third, so now I'm feeling much better about things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, everyone's doing great so far! I definitely know the reading rut/review copy dilemma - it's slowed me up a bit thus far in 2012 but the reading I HAVE done has been pretty good, so what the heck!

    I'll be visiting everyone again in the next week or so, by the way, to say hello and check off the next batch of finished books! Better than waiting until December and trying to do everything at once, I reckon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So far, so good.

    I've finished 3 official categories and my Western add-on category (although what I read for journalism/humor might be a bit of a stretch). I bailed on the horror novel I planned because it was pretty awful. I'm currently working on The Hunger Games for the YA category.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've completed 7 categories so far, mostly fiction-based. And I'm looking forward to reading more non-fiction soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think three is not bad going. I'm still sitting at two although I'll read number three this month. Wasn't really surprised by either category and very much enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seven Categories down--Here's the latest (poetry): http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/03/rose-window-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh how did I miss this post?
    Well here I am.
    I've finished five categories and am busy with the sixth and seventh. I'm really struggling with Steve Jobs' biography, but I WILL finish it. It has taught me, though, that not all biographies are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I just finished visiting everyone to mark our THREE MONTH MARK, AAAAAARGH! If I didn't comment for whatever reason - never fear, I HAVE visited and I've ticked off any completed categories you've got listed on your challenge post. And hey, can you believe it, we've already had our first completed challenge?!

    I'm currently in a real fiction mood, which is lovely but not exactly helping with topple those categories, oops. Ah well, best to follow your reading whims rather than fighting them, I reckon - plenty of time for the rest before the end of 2012 right? RIGHT? *hyperventilates*

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate buttons. AND THAT IS A LOT.