THE STICKY NOTE OF NEWS

It's autumn again, and that means it's time for R.I.P. IX, hooray! I'll be cramming in some spooky, supernatural, gothic and otherwise DARK books, short stories, TV shows and movies through September and October; if you want to see how I'm doing and what I've read/watched so far, check out my master post here. Happy (scary) reading!

Sunday, 5 June 2011

A fun 'n' frothy interview with Lauren Kate

Welcome, readers, to my first ever blog tour!  And what better way to start than by hosting the fabulous Lauren Kate?  She's been working very hard these past few weeks putting together all kinds of interviews and guest posts for the tour (which has been marvellously organised by the lovely folks at Random House Children's Books), so for her stop here I thought I'd lighten things up and have a bit of fun...

LAUREN KATE:
~ The Woman Behind the PASSION ~

Welcome, Lauren!  Okay, let's start with a few quick-fire questions!

Blue or green?
Green. I love the green M&M’s!

Coffee or tea?
I usually drink both each day. I drink a lot of green tea and jasmine tea, but got totally hooked on English tea during my Torment tour in the fall.  (Hooray!)

Vanilla or chocolate?
Vanilla

Evenings in or nights out?
Evenings out!

Reading or writing?
Tough one. Reading is generally more enjoyable - and much more relaxing. And it’s essential to be able to write. But I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t write...

Luce or Arriane?
Luce. While writing Fallen, I might have said Arriane, but these days, I’ve grown very close to Luce.

Thanks!  That gives us a bit of a snapshot of Lauren Kate, the woman, I think!  Now, moving on to Lauren Kate, the author...

What do you always have on hand to snack on while you're writing?
Heaps of dry cereal. Almost any kind - no Fruity Pebbles though.  (Hmmm, I don't think we have those here but they don't sound very appetising!) 

What's your favourite way to unwind after you finish work for the day?
Cooking. It’s the best way I know how to unwind. It’s mind-clearing and hands-on: the opposite of writing.

What are you reading right now?
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.  How have I gone so long without reading this incredible book?  (Another one for my wishlist, then!)

If you could save five books from a burning building, what would they be?
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, Matilda by Roald Dahl, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov and The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.  (Haha, when I was little I worshipped Matilda - finally, a character who adored books as much as me - good choice!)

What helps you settle down for a writing session? Do you have a kind of ritual before you start, or do you just switch on the computer and go?
I like to go for a run with my dog before I write each morning. I do a lot of plotting in my mind that way. I learned that from Joyce Carol Oates!

Do you find it more fun to write the 'good guys' or the 'bad guys'? Maybe Cam and Molly are a naughty way to unleash your dark side?!
Oh, bad, definitely. Cam writes himself!

Are there any authors, YA or otherwise, whose latest books always go straight onto your 'must-read' list?
I love Suzanne Collins, Frances Hardinge and Louis Sachar.

If you were a guardian angel, what amazing superpower (other than flight!) would you like to have to make your duties easier (and life more fun!)?
I just want to fly!

What's next for you? Will you go back to Luce and Daniel straight away, or are you working on something different at the moment?
Passion comes out in three weeks. It picks up right where Torment left off and is my favorite book in the series so far. I’ve just finished writing the first draft of Rapture, the fourth book in the Fallen series, so I’ll soon sit down to revise that one too. I think it has a really stunning ending.

Thanks, Lauren!  PASSION is released in the UK on June 23 2011, and we'll all be waiting eagerly for RAPTURE to hit the shelves in Spring 2012!  I'll have a review of PASSION up on the blog before the release date so watch out for that - I'm mid-read and it's a corker so far!  

 For more info on Lauren, the FALLEN series, and her debut novel THE BETRAYAL OF NATALIE HARGROVE, visit her website.  My thoughts on all of Lauren's books can also be found here on the blog - check out the review archive for the links!

9 comments:

  1. Great Interview! Can't wait for RAPTURE! I'm going to be interviewing Lauren too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I'm definitely going to start Fallen soon now! I just want to fly too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MiaandSofia - I've got your link ready and waiting down in my blog tour kick-off post a few days ago, so I'll be sure to drop by on Saturday!

    Library Owl - Wouldn't that be AMAZING?! Of course, lots of other superpowers would be fun too, but that's the golden one. I'd like to be a super-archer like Green Arrow or, er, Legolas... I've already got the long blonde hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these kind of interviews. I think you always come away feeling like you know the author personally a little bit better :) I'll be sure to check out Infinite Jest on Lauren's recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jess! Thank you - now we can both sit back and enjoy all the other posts on the tour... *squishes cushion into a more comfy position, grabs popcorn and waits expectantly*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant wait for this next book to come out - I raved about the first two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview, it's cool to see that she's a fan of English tea. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't beat it - made nice and strong, with a sprinkle of sugar and a good dose of milk. None of this green tea nonsense in my kitchen! :P

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate buttons. AND THAT IS A LOT.