THE STICKY NOTE OF NEWS

It's autumn again, and that means it's time for R.I.P. IX, hooray! I'll be cramming in some spooky, supernatural, gothic and otherwise DARK books, short stories, TV shows and movies through September and October; if you want to see how I'm doing and what I've read/watched so far, check out my master post here. Happy (scary) reading!

Friday, 4 February 2011

A February hop and a kitten update...

BOOK BLOGGER HOP
Welcome, hoppers, to a sunny winter day here in TouristTown.  We survived the crippling December (crippling in sales AND in snow) and we're back at the shop where things are FINALLY starting to take off again a month into the new year.  Shame we've got weather straight from Wuthering Heights blasting the countryside right now...  Fortunately, round here in BlogTown things are rather more warm, friendly and most importantly, busy.  There are read-a-thons galore going on over at LibraryThing, I have library books coming out of my ears, and the shop is still relatively peaceful despite the growing numbers of browsers.  All of which is adding up to plenty of reading - and thus, reviewing - being done, hooray!

Soooo, come on in, everyone, take a look around!  As you might have gathered, I'm a young bookseller, and I run a second-hand bookshop in a quaint little tourist town with my mum.  This blog is a bit of a mixed bookish bag really - a few memes, updates on my rampant book-buying addiction, and, of course, reviews, mixed in with a few random titbits on life in general - favourite food, swoonworthy TV characters, owls, our kittens... whatever's floating my boat that day really!  After the reading lethargy that swept the blogosphere before Christmas, taking me with it, I'm hoping things will be a little more active round here again from now on.  When I'm not fielding pensioners at the shop or indulging my latest TV addiction, Gilmore Girls, that is...

Now, speaking of kittens, for anyone who's been wondering how the babies are growing up, here's a couple of update photos taken at Christmas!  They're proving to be a very lively pair - Millie (the ginger miss) fell off the stairs this morning and Domino (the black and white one!) managed to eat her own stitches days after she was spayed - but SO CUTE!


Anyway, back to the Hop - don't forget to leave me a note in the comments so I can return the visit...

Here's this week's Hop question:
"What are you reading now and why are you reading it?"
I have two main books on the go right now, plus a couple on the back burner.  My main reads are both library books, The Shallows: How the Internet is Changing the Way We Think, Read and Remember by Nicholas Carr, and Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro.  I've had the Carr book out since well before Christmas, and that 'impending renewal' feeling is snapping at my heels, so it was really about time I got stuck in.  It's brilliant so far anyway - I read a third of it yesterday, which is unusual for a fairly detailed non-fiction read.  Nocturnes was just at the top of the pile when I needed another novel!  I know it's had mixed reviews but when I spotted it on the library display stand I couldn't resist.  And the title is so beautiful...  Awaiting my return are The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha, which I've been dipping into from time to time, and Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, which I set aside when the library books came in and just haven't had chance to return to yet...  Soon, soon!  

NOTE:
The Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Jennifer at Crazy For Books

10 comments:

  1. Awww your kitties are really gorgeous! Hopping on by to say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I'm stopping by because of the hop. Your kitties are so adorable. And Gilmore Girls is the best TV show ever!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Happy Friday! We are new followers!! The pictures of your cat is toooo cute! Stop by and visit us sometimes at: http://pg59bookclub.blogspot.com
    Thanks and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard about the Carr book. Thanks for reminding me about it as it sounded quite interesting.

    Hopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good answer! The answer on my book blog is a little embarassing; it’s a book that’s been sitting on my TBR pile for a year.

    To my shame, I only opened the book because I remember it contained an Amazon gift card.

    All the sordid details on my book blog – http://www.howardsherman.net

    Hop on over!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopping through. Are you pretty active on LibraryThing? I haven't explored it a huge deal. Why is it worth using over Goodreads?
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy you reads and love the kitty update. They are so adorable. We have a black cat and he is two now but is still a kitty at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopping by to say have a great weekend!

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A belated welcome to all my visitors and new followers! The kittens' were very embarrassed about all the praise but I think they'll survive... :-)

    Alison - I've never used GoodReads, but I'm a faithful and active LibraryThinger! I just like the style, the accessibility of the Powers that Be, the incredible vibrant and active forums with their read-a-thons, group reads and challenges, the cataloguing facilities, the giveaways and reviewer schemes... I found out about it from a book (how ironic), went online, paid for lifetime membership on the spot and I've never looked back!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate buttons. AND THAT IS A LOT.