THE STICKY NOTE OF NEWS

It's autumn again, and that means it's time for R.I.P. IX, hooray! I'll be cramming in some spooky, supernatural, gothic and otherwise DARK books, short stories, TV shows and movies through September and October; if you want to see how I'm doing and what I've read/watched so far, check out my master post here. Happy (scary) reading!

Sunday, 10 October 2010

SUNDAY CONFESSIONAL #14

BOOKS COME IN, BOOKS GO OUT...

The Incoming

First up, then, is How Hard Can It Be?: The World According to Clarkson, Volume 4...  I spotted this on the Sainsbury's website when I was sorting out this week's grocery order.  I didn't even know it was coming out!  Though I should have done, since they've been reliably hitting the shelves every autumn for the last few years...


Next up, my first ever bunch of reviewer books arrived from Random House Children's Books!  I was so excited, it was like Christmas, tearing open the package and eagerly retrieving each book, carefully smoothing the covers, reading the titles, and trying to not to get too giddy in case the customers thought I was INSANE!  *cackles with slightly mad glee*  The package contained Torment by Lauren Kate, Trash by Andy Mulligan, Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne and The Necromancer by Michael Scott. So, thanks to Corinne at RHCB for these, especially since I already had two out of the four on my wishlist and one hovering on my trusty book radar...  I'm reading Fallen now so I can get started!


I hit a couple of online stores this week - Amazon, Amazon Marketplace, and the sale on Play.com - so a handful of books have arrived from them too...  I've replaced my battered Penguin Popular Classics edition of Dracula with a nice new shiny Penguin Classics version, for a start, and I bought The Pre-Raphaelites from Phaidon's Colour Library as a handy visual reference when I read Franny Moyle's Desperate Romantics soon.  I've been corrupted by a certain shameless tea junkie over at Amused, Bemused and Confused into buying Vita: The Life of V. Sackville-West by Victoria Glendinning, after her enthusiastic post the other day.


What else?  Oh yes, John Ajvide Lindqvist's Handling the Undead, which I hadn't even heard of until I saw it in the Play sale.  But what the hell, thought I.  I needed the first book in Tanya Huff's Keeper's Chronicles series, so I ordered Summon the Keeper.  Though I'll say it right now - as soon as someone re-releases this series in new editions I'll be there, because these creepy-cat covers freak me out a bit!  I love cats but this thing looks like something out of a horror story!  It was only a matter of time before I succumbed and bought The Help, so I thought I might as well chuck that in as well...


I won my first blogosphere giveaway a while back, over at Beck's Book Picks, and got my signed copy of Moon Rising by Laurie Bowler in the post this week!  It's about a half-vampire, half-human who is fighting for her freedom from the ruler of the vampire underworld - sounds interesting!


And of course, I picked a couple of books up from the shop too.  We have a few copies of The Godfather by Owen Whittaker, and it looks really amusing - it's about a wealthy, reclusive writer who suddenly becomes the guardian of two children - so I misappropriated that.  Sounds a little like About a Boy, perhaps?  I also took home 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith.  I didn't finish The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency (sacrilege, I know) but a customer recommended this book as being particularly good, so I thought I'd give it a try...


That's it for the incoming this week!  A tidy haul again, despite me having glued myself to my stool at the shop so I couldn't accidentally fall into any charity shops in town...  Darn you, Amazon!  :-) 

The Outgoing

Erm, none again.  This is a bad run, really, isn't it?  Though to be fair, as soon as I find my old copy of Dracula that'll be going to the shop.  It's not on my little classics shelf in my bedroom though, so I'm assuming it's down in the main house, in my sister's room, where I have a few bookshelves and two wardrobe shelves to store yet more books...  Maybe I'll do better next week!  *she says as a herd of flying pigs soars past the window*

Now I'm off to get my update posts drafted ready for my Read-a-Thon tomorrow night!  Anyone thinking of dropping by to give me a kick up the ass through the 24 hours?  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate buttons. AND THAT IS A LOT.