THE STICKY NOTE OF NEWS

I'm on Instagram now! Yes, I've finally joined the twenty-first century and acquired a smartphone. If you like pictures of books, cats, books, food and books, with the occasional detour into pretty scenery, you can check out my photos so far by clicking here, or my handle is blondebookgirl. :)

Monday, 11 October 2010

Read-a-Thon Update: Hours 7-9

Ellie's 'Some Of Us Work Weekends, You Know' Belated 24-Hour Read-a-Thon!


Welcome to part 3 of my rather belated Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon!
Well, I'm still awake!  For now, at least...  One book down, and I'm still reading 'Wesley', which is very informative, amusing and downright lovely.  I may end up having a nap sometime during the 3 hours covered by this post, just to rest my eyes for a while! 

HOURS 7-9 (3-5am)

~ Hour 7 (3am) ~
I've been reading: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl by Stacy O'Brien
Books finished: 0
Pages read: 23
Blog time: 15 minutes
Reading time: 35 minutes

Total books read: 1
Total pages read: 201
Total time read: 5 hours
Total time blogging: 1 hour 10 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 5

The Menu: Slice of pizza, red grape juice
Comments: My eyes are really starting to burn now, and I have to keep going back and re-reading paragraphs of my book because my head's gone all fuzzy.  It may be nap-time soon, so I can go back to reading at a quicker pace without it being a slog!  Still, the book's funny and charming, which definitely helps.

MINI-CHALLENGE: Armchair Travelling
This meme is hosted by Marg at Adventures of an Intrepid Reader.

Share some of the locations from your books, or some facts about the places where your books are set.  It could be books that you are reading for the read-a-thon, or books you've read recently, or just some of your favourites! 

Okay, first up, I definitely want to go to Hogwarts.  From the moment I first read the description of the Great Hall, with the floating candles and the enchanted ceiling and the tables magically groaning with wonderful meals, I've wanted to go there.  For similar reasons, Rivendell is definitely up there too.  Lothlorien always felt colder when I read the books - more threatening to approach, more icy, somehow - whereas Rivendell was more earthy, soft and alive, somehow.  And wasn't the movie version magical?  It was like heaven, all plunging waterfalls and leafy grottoes.  Gorgeous.  In real terms, I became immediately enamoured of the Shakespeare & Co. bookshop in Paris, after I read about it in Jeremy Mercer's wonderful travel-type memoir Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs, in which he lives at the shop with a bunch of other misfits and oddballs for over a year.  I definitely want to visit it one day!



~ Hour 8 (4am) ~
I've been reading: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl by Stacey O'Brien
Books finished: None
Pages read: 10
Blog time: 15 minutes
Reading time: 20 minutes

Total books read: 1
Total pages read: 211 
Total time read: 5 hours 20 minutes
Total time blogging: 1 hour 25 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 5

The Menu: Nothing
Comments: I finally had to have a nap during this hour!  My brain was literally not processing a single word of the book, so I crawled into my comfy chair, pulled a blanket over me and snuggled down for the last twenty-five minutes before my 4am alarm...  Let's see how I get on for the next hour - I might do the same again yet, I don't know!  Now, I couldn't think of five 'characters I love to hate' for this hour's challenge, so instead, here's a funny video with the only two characters I could really think of - Lucius and Snape!  And Remus and Sirius, but that's by the by...



~ Hour 9 (5am) ~
I've been reading: Nothing
Books finished: None
Pages read: None
Blog time: 15 minutes
Reading time: Trying-to-read time, you mean?

Total books read: 1
Total pages read: 211
Total time read: 5 hours 20 minutes
Total time blogging: 1 hour 40 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 6

The Menu: The last of a glass of grape juice
Comments: I spent fifteen minutes picking between books, willing my brain to focus, and it wasn't happening so I went back to sleep for another half hour.  I want to be refreshed enough by sunrise to go back to my books for at least some of the rest of the day!  I feel pretty woozy right now though, my will to read hasn't suffered but my ability has gone right down the pan...

MINI-CHALLENGE: Shake Your Pom-Poms!
This challenge is hosted by Jill at Fizzy Thoughts.

Compose a bookish cheer for the read-a-thon!

1, 2, 3, 4, pile your books up on the floor,
5, 6, 7, 8, brew that coffee, stay up late!
1, 2, 3, 4, do your best and read some more,
5, 6, 7, 8,  Read-a-Thons are really great!
D-E-W-E-Y... DEWEY!

2 comments:

  1. 3AM - my gosh! You are dedicated to this challenge. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie - I'm reading back over all my posts and you are an AWESOME CHEERLEADER!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate buttons. AND THAT IS A LOT.