THE STICKY NOTE OF NEWS

Nothing to see here... Move along please... YES THAT MEANS YOU MADAM... Keep things moving... :)

Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Read-a-Thon Update: Hours 16-18

Ellie's 'Some Of Us Work Weekends, You Know' Belated 24-Hour Read-a-Thon!


Here we are at Part 6!  Thanks for joining me for my late-running Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon!
Another hour in, and I'm full speed ahead for the afternoon - I hope, anyway.  My shopping's here, I'm putting the oven on for some dinner, and I'm THIS CLOSE to finishing 'Wesley'...

HOURS 16-18 (12 noon-2pm)

~ Hour 16 (12 noon) ~
I've been reading: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl by Stacey O'Brien
Books finished: None
Pages read: 18
Blog time: 20 mins
Reading time: 35 mins

Total books read: 1
Total pages read: 333
Total time read: 9 hours
Total time blogging: 3 hours 40 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 10

The Menu: A few more sips of that ever-present orange squash.  Nothing like a dodgy stomach to ruin the feasting!  I'm putting some dinner on now though...
Comments: Feeling much better, reading eagerly, almost at the end of Wesley... Admittedly, I was a bit distracted keep leaping up every five minutes because I thought the shopping was here.  The first six times or so it was just my grandmother getting a bit over-enthusiastic with the hoover next door...  She does like to thwack a good skirting board, does my Nana!

MINI-CHALLENGE: Poetry Angst!
This meme is hosted by Shel and Monica at The Hungry Readers.

Write a poem about the Read-a-Thon.  A haiku to a comfy chair, a love sonnet to the bed you wish you could climb into, an ode to your favourite author... or a dirty read-a-thon limerick!

Open a novel, settle in,
Arm yourself with a mug of tea,
Cuddle into your favourite chair,
Grab a custard cream or three.

A few hours later, eyes so sore,
Crank your music up real loud,
Turn the pages, skim the prose,
Need more coffee, sugar, now!

Towards the end, you're almost there!
Suddenly the whole thing seems a breeze,
Congratulations, books all read,
Sign me up for next year, please!


~ Hour 17 (1pm) ~
I've been reading: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl by Stacy O'Brien
Books finished: 0
Pages read: 3
Blog time: 20 minutes
Reading time: 5 minutes

Total books read: 1
Total pages read: 336
Total time read: 9 hours 5 minutes
Total time blogging: 4 hours
Mini-challenges completed: 10

The Menu: Nothing at all... my dinner's ready though!
Comments: It's been a busy hour, with grocery shopping arriving, having to be paid for and sorted and put away, and cooking a nice comforting dinner.  I managed to read a couple of pages while I was waiting for everything to be ready, but that was it.  Now I've got food I'm raring to go for the next stretch!


~ Hour 18 (2pm) ~
I've been reading: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl by Stacey O'Brien
Books finished: Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl by Stacey O'Brien
Pages read: 19 pages
Blog time: 5 minutes
Reading time: 35 minutes

Total books read: 2
Total pages read: 355
Total time read: 9 hours 40 minutes
Total time blogging: 4 hours 5 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 11

The Menu: Fish fingers, buttery mashed potato and baked beans.  Extreme comfort food!
Comments: I finished Wesley!  And it made me cry, and I'd just had a big meal too, all of which conspired together to make me drop off to sleep for the last twenty minutes of the hour.  Hey, I only slept an hour all night, didn't I?!  Not sure what to move on to next - I'm looking around for a book to grab me...

MINI-CHALLENGE: Pitch Your Book!
This challenge is hosted by Kate at I Just Wanna Sit Here and Read.

Whatever book you are currently reading, or one that you have read during the read-a-thon, tell us why we should read it!  Why do you love it, or why are you loving it (if you're still reading it)?  Tell us the book name and author, and keep your pitch to around 4 sentences...

I'll pitch WESLEY: THE STORY OF A REMARKABLE OWL, since I just finished it:
This is a remarkable little book that has everything you could possibly ask for from an animal memoir.  O'Brien is deeply knowledgeable about barn owls, owls in general and indeed the natural sciences in a wider context, which makes for an informative read that surpassed my expectations.  Wesley is a winning character, brimming with humour and affection, and O'Brien's profound bond with him shines from each and every page.  I giggled out loud, I wept bitter tears, I learned something new in each chapter - why not read it now and let Wesley and the Way of the Owl into YOUR life!

4 comments:

  1. Team Ellie! Woot! Woot!

    Way to go! Very impressed with your diligence and hard work. Hang in there and send that dodgy tummy packing. I think your Nana is doing her part to keep you alert. ;)

    Will check back in with you in a few!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, thanks Lori! You dropped by just when I needed a boost! I'll try to keep going a while longer - not sure I'll make it to 8pm at this rate but I'll see how I get on! *takes a deep breath and dives into another pile of books searching for her next read*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dinner is making me hungry and it's 6:15 in the morning. I'll start by making some coffee! Congrats on finishing Wesley, it sounds like a wonderful book. Good luck with the next challenge!

    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bonnie! There would have been enough for two here as well, I think I overestimated things a bit on the mashed potato front... :-)
    Enjoy your coffee, and GOOD MORNING!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate buttons. AND THAT IS A LOT.