THE STICKY NOTE OF NEWS

I'm on Instagram now! Yes, I've finally joined the twenty-first century and acquired a smartphone. If you like pictures of books, cats, books, food and books, with the occasional detour into pretty scenery, you can check out my photos so far by clicking here, or my handle is blondebookgirl. :)

Monday, 11 October 2010

My Read-a-Thon Starts Here!

Ellie's 'Some Of Us Work Weekends, You Know' Belated 24-Hour Read-a-Thon!


The fun starts now!  At 8pm, Brit-girl time, I'll be starting my belated 24-hour readathon!  As you know, I've been getting properly peeved that I keep missing out: sadly, the Saturday-Sunday slot is our busiest time at the shop so I've missed all kinds of Read-a-Thons as a result.  Sooooo, I decided I was bloody well going to do the Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon (the official one ran Saturday-Sunday this week) even if I had to trail in two days late!

Here we go! 

HOURS 1-3 (8-11pm)

Hour 0 (8pm)
I'm not making any special plans as to what to read, or when to sleep, or anything like that.  I'm going to read whatever takes my fancy, probably skipping between a couple of books at a time - and I'll make no apologies for reading rather lighter fare as the hours flow by...  I've set my laundry going, so I'll go sort that out later as a little break for my eyes!  I've had a nap, made coffee and procured a large slice of my stepdad's birthday Victoria sponge, so we're good to go! 
My first book of the night: Fallen by Lauren Kate (already half way through)


~ Hour 1 (9pm) ~
I've been reading: Fallen by Lauren Kate
Books finished: None
Pages read: 40
Blog time: None
Reading time: 60 minutes

Total books read: 0
Total pages read: 40
Total time read: 1 hour
Total time blogging: 0
Mini-challenges completed: 1

The Menu: Slice Victoria sponge cake, coffee
Comments: So far so good!  I was a bit worried that I was yawning a lot before I even started, but I soon got settled in and picked up the pace in the last twenty minutes or so.  Here's hoping I'll still be feeling as good in a few hours' time!

MINI-CHALLENGE: The Hour 1 Meme
This meme is hosted by Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon.

1. Where are you reading from today?
Home sweet home - in Derbyshire, England.  At the moment I'm sitting on my living room floor in my little granny flat.

2. Three facts about me:
1. I'm absolutely terrified of air raid sirens and ventriloquist's dummies.
2. I keep scrapbooks packed with cinema tickets, birthday cards, magazine articles, pictures of things I like or that inspire me, all sorts of bits and pieces...
3. My all-time top dream is to see the Northern Lights.  They're so beautiful they make me cry even on TV!

3. How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
My entire library's up for grabs really - though I have a couple of books that I've really fancy reading, especially Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien.

4. Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?
Not really - I'd like to finish a couple of books at least, and just know I've done my best at the end of the 24 hours, however much I end up actually reading!

5. If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time?
This is my first time, so I've just been taking everyone else's advice.  Preparing posts ahead, getting snacks ready, that kind of thing.


~ Hour 2 (10pm) ~
I've been reading: Fallen by Lauren Kate
Books finished: None
Pages read: 26
Blog time: 10
Reading time: 30

Total books read: 0
Total pages read: 66
Total time read: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total time blogging: 10 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 2

The Menu: A bit of cold coffee from earlier!
Comments: I had to take a short break to finish my online grocery shopping and go get my laundry, but other than that I'm still doing okay!  Starting to feel hungry though - and not for cake - so I might go get the oven on soon for pizza.  My concentration's doing okay so far, which is good - no need to stop and play music for five minutes or anything to get myself back on track...

MINI-CHALLENGE: 'Back in the Day' Children's Books
This challenge is hosted by Elizabeth at Miss Wisabus.

What were some of your favourite children's books when you were younger?  Do you have any new favourites now that you're an adult?  Have you included any children's or YA titles in your Read-a-Thon stack this year?

I had a few favourite books when I was younger.  I loved Enid Blyton's books, starting with the Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair books when I was much younger, and moving onto The Famous Five, St. Clares and Malory Towers books.  Oh and her Cherry Tree and Willow Farm series - anyone remember those?  I liked the Babysitter Club books for a while too, and I LOVED The Sleepover Club.  We made our own little club for a while, with a handbook and everything!  I also adored Anne of Green Gables and What Katy Did.  I might read one of those two for the Read-a-Thon, and I've also got a handful of other kids' and YA books in the 'maybe' pile, including a re-read of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what I actually end up reading!


~ Hour 3 (11pm) ~
I've been reading: Fallen by Lauren Kate
Books finished: None
Pages read: 30 (is that all?)
Blog time: 10 minutes
Reading time: 40 minutes

Total books read: 0
Total pages read: 96
Total time read: 2 hours 10 minutes
Total time blogging: 20 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 3

The Menu: A bit of orange squash, a couple of cherry tomatoes
Comments: I had to take another quick break at the end of this hour because my vanilla custard danish pastry, bought especially for tonight, has gone missing!  Nooooooo!  Maybe I left it at the shop or something, darn it!  I went hunting for it in the car, through my bags, in stupid places like the fridge (hello, this is me we're talking about...) and nada.  Crumbs.  Anyway, nearly at the end of Fallen and I've just made pizza, yay!

MINI-CHALLENGE: Six Word Celebration
This challenge is hosted by Andi at Estella's Revenge.

Create a six-word celebration of Dewey's Read-a-Thon.

Books, coffee, cheering - and staying awake!

14 comments:

  1. Hello Miss Eleanor Potten...I am the Voice of Morpheus...reminding you that sleeep sleeeeep sleeeeeeeep is a beautiful thing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. *grabs pompoms* WOOO GO ELLIE!!!
    I wish I could do a read-a-thon but at the moment I not only have no time to do it but I've also got very little motivation to actually read at all! I know I'm shocked - I'm supposed to be reading one more book for my Favs fortnight but I literally can't be bothered to pick Atonement up. And don't even get me started on the three reviews I've yet to do :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bugger off, Voice of Morpheus! Not really, come back... just go for 'upbeat and refreshing' next time, k?

    Hi Rach! Lovely cheerleader outfit darling. You can live vicariously through mine instead... participate via comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go, Ellie, go! You can do it!

    I had wanted to "unofficially" participate in Saturday's Readathon - - and I did get a few hours of interrupted reading in - - but I just had too much going on.

    Keep up the good work and I'll check back in with your progress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lori! Same problem here over the weekend - but I was determined I was going to finally get to do a read-a-thon even if I had to bend the rules a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a word of encouragement. Don't ask for cheerleading from my dog - he's fast asleep and snoring on the sofa beside me. But I'm still awake, and wishing you well in the read-a-thon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "...I have a couple of books that I've really fancy reading, especially Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien." THAT should be an interesting read-a-thon read! How will you keep your sense of reality?!
    I found The Divine Miss's mother's copy of "The Birds of America" by Audubon while restlessly pacing in order to avoid suicide from tooth pain. It's a 1937 edition. Wow have printing techniques improved!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you're doing this on your own time frame. Perhaps I'll join you next time? I really like doing this as it forces me to finish up books that were languishing in piles, half-read, feeling neglected. Plus, it's really nice to just read for readings' sake! I tend to feel slightly guilty when I read a lot of YA or "chick lit" type books, but this is just a fabulous setting for a bit of a binge.

    Keep on going, Ellie, it's early days yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Richard, I'm almost positive that I have the exact same book in my house, courtesy of my grandmother! I hear chewing/sucking on cloves is a good pain reliever for teeth, though it sounds like sucking on a stick to me. And if I'm going to leave wood in my mouth for that long...

    Apologies to all. I just grossed myself out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Er, I think 'Wesley' will be fine, Richard! You can keep 'Birds of America', thanks...

    Laura - no grossing out here, I just made pizza!

    And thanks Genny - just make sure he doesn't yawn in my direction and set me off, that'll be the beginning of the end for this night time stretch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura, clove oil works about as well as anything else not laden with narcotics. So I've moved on to the "laden with narcotics" pills and they're only doing *okay*. Tooth pain rots!
    Ellie poopsie-poppet, did I forget to mention that pizza is a well-known soporific? Yeah, the equal of Valium, is pizza. And danishes...! Fuhgeddabouddit! Might as well eat Seroquel! So is "Fallen" powerful enough to overcome those disadvantages?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can do this, Ellie. One page at a time. One to the next. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, what I want to know is what happened to that vanilla custard pastry!!! Ellie, it's nice to arrive at the start or your marathon, finally! You done an awesome job.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pastry update: no sign... I'm forced to admit that I may have paid for it then left it on the market stall... Nowhere to be seen in the office, anyway!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate buttons. AND THAT IS A LOT.