THE STICKY NOTE OF NEWS

It's autumn again, and that means it's time for R.I.P. IX, hooray! I'll be cramming in some spooky, supernatural, gothic and otherwise DARK books, short stories, TV shows and movies through September and October; if you want to see how I'm doing and what I've read/watched so far, check out my master post here. Happy (scary) reading!

Monday, 27 September 2010

The Projected Forecast #10

It's been a while since I've done my Monday post properly, because there were reviews to post or I was 'on holiday' or whatever...  On the plus side, two out of the three books are new to the Monday Forecast - no more searching through The World According to Clarkson for yet another pithy paragraph to use as my teaser!

This week I finished:
Just two down this week.  One was the eponymous Jeremy Clarkson book, a collection of his humorous columns from The Sunday Times.  It was my second reading but I enjoyed it just as much this time round.  He is blisteringly no-nonsense, sinking his teeth into anyone he reckons deserves it, and flicking the ol' V at political correctness for good measure.  It's like Notes from a Big Country in some ways - amusing, observant and self-deprecating.  The second book finished this week was the scrumptious Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke, a fluffy concoction involving a couple of murders, a dessert contest, a handsome detective, strawberry shortcake, a bit of blackmail, cookies and a cat called Moishe.  Lovely.  Reviews can be found in my archive (the tab's at the top of the page), as always...

I'm currently reading:
Three seems to the magic number for me at the moment!  I'm still reading Reclaiming the F Word: The New Feminist Movement by Catherine Redfern and Kristin Aune.  I'm enjoying it but it's been suffering a bit of late.  I put it aside while I was off for the week, to enjoy other books, then I've been getting sidetracked by other things at home and reading Nigel Slater at work where it's often been too busy to concentrate on much else.  But I digress.  It is a good little read so far, filled with issues and surveys and activism reports, so I'll try to make more time for it this week!
THE TEASER
"In schools, men's dominance in the academic hierarchy, teachers' stereotypical attitudes and peer pressure subtly connect femininity with interpersonal skills and caring roles, and masculinity with scientific, leadership roles.  Girls are seen as bright and academic but are channelled into arts, humanities and languages, and away from science and computing." 

My second book at the moment is Nigel Slater's Eating for England: The Delights and Eccentricities of the British at Table.  It's been sitting on my shelf for years, and I finally started it for some light reading while I was off last week.  It's fantastic!  Slater moves through the best of British food and eating habits, with mini-essays on everything from economical cooking to Jaffa Cakes.  It's making me darn hungry reading it...
THE TEASER
"When you mention, casually and perhaps over coffee, that you made jam last weekend, the question will not be 'Does it taste wonderful?' but 'Did it set?'  The British jam-maker is obsessed with getting their jam so stiff you could turn the jar upside down and the contents would stay put.  The rest of Europe makes jam that slides sexily off the mound of clotted cream and dribbles down the edge of the scone (an exquisite moment if ever there was one).  We make jam that sits prim and straight, like a Victorian child at Sunday school."  

Last, but definitely not least, I finally started Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.  Every October I promise myself I'll read this little classic for Halloween, and every November I realise I've left it too late and tell myself next year will be different.  Well, this year I thought I'd get started early on my spooky reading, and Frankenstein was right at the top of my list.  It started a little slowly, but now it's racing along rather thrillingly.  I've never seen any movie adaptation of the book, so I'm pretty much new to all of it, except the most basic outline.  It's all very exciting, and so beautifully written!
THE TEASER
"It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs."

Possibilities for the week ahead:
Now that's a question.  As usual, these are mere whispers on the winds of fancy, but I'll lay them out anyway!  First up is the question of my Halloween reading; I have a few titles in mind, but I don't know how many I'll read, or which ones I'll choose, or in which order.  The list includes various paranormal/romance series openers (Ill Wind by Rachel Caine, Stray by Rachel Vincent, Dark Lover by J.R. Ward) as well as The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux and Carrie by Stephen King.  As for any other reading... no idea.  I have so many books piled up all around me right now that I'm just going to reach out and grab something when the time comes!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I would recommend picking up Stray it may be a tad chunky but it really is an awesome series :D
    *pokes* I may keep poking you until you read it, and Jess as well for that matter cos she's taking her sweet time in getting round to it :P xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bear that in mind! I'll definitely be reading something a tad lighter after 'Frankenstein' anyway, before I go back to the classic spookiness! Now, go poke Jess, make her read it too... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate buttons. AND THAT IS A LOT.